Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Web 2.0

The Web 2.0 apps were the hardest to understand "technically", however easy to use "hands-on". I have been using web 2.0 apps all the time and just never knew the correct terminology. This was helpful because as teachers with us teaching in this age of technology we have to make sure we are up to date with the language of technology to be able to teach our students. After reviewing several of the Web 2.0 I have found some that could be useful for me working in the field of English with students in grades 7th-12th.

Tikatok "is where you can transform imagination into stories and publish those stories into books to share with family and friends." This application I thought was really cool. On this students can create their very own book. The students can chose the website templates or create their own. The book can include photos of the students by uploading photos or their own drawings. Once the book is done it can be purchased hardcover, paperback, or ebook. The application is for students ages 13 and up. This would be most beneficently to me because I could teach the students the process of writing a story and making it into a book. Especially, for the junior high school age this could be used as a project for the students to hand in. I like this because the students will still have to write out what they want on paper (the old-fashion way), but still emerge into the new way and composing it online and receiving a actual physical copy. It teaches students how to combine old and new technology together, which is important because it teaches the students to be well-rounded in learning.
http://www.tikatok.com/


The other application I found helpful was WePapers which is "the world's biggest study group." By using this app a user can store papers, exams, lecture notes, and research work. There is a section where you can find, print, read and download ton of documents, exams, and textbook solutions. And there is a section where personal notes and knowledgeable information can be shared. Students may benefit from this because this could teach them how to become more organized storing their papers. This can be a place there they can return to a paper they are working on and continue to write. The great thing about this is the students can share their work with a network of people. Some students write such great work and it's wonderful now they are able to share it amongst a variety audience. I like the benefit of this application being multi-useful for students because they can organize and share. There is even a search section of different tags of subjects students can click on. I chose the English/Literature tag and it took me to a section broken down of all types of papers, notes, ect. that could be useful for students.
http://www.wepapers.com


After going through the Web 2.0, I realize I still have a lot to learn to keep up with learning in the classroom today. I'm learning there are so many unique and modern applications which make learning more interactive. As a teacher, it will be my job to learn how to incorporate this learning in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying the apps you found! I definitely see Tikatok as the final step in a multilayer project (as you said, they'll have to plan out what they want by hand first), maybe even a community project paired with an elementary school (I love how ideas run rampant when provided with new technology), where your students create books for elementary classrooms. So cool!

    WePapers, man, I wish I had something like that when I was in high school/college. How handy to have your work not just published on that site, but backed up there as well! And I love love LOVE the organization angle to it, and even to properly upload their work students must know how to concisely summarize, tag, and label their work. My only concern with this app is the threat of plagiarism with all these papers just floating out there, ripe for the picking. I know it's an issue everywhere, but in conjunction with using this app I would teach both against plagiarism and how to cite sources.

    All in all, great finds!! I could definitely see any English teacher using both of these in her classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent use of Web 2.0 in education! Love the tikatok site and sent it to my daughter in hopes of getting a book from my grandaughter! Thanks Brittnay for posting a thoughtful response!

    ReplyDelete